Just for Kids! Join The Crew!
You can get involved and help your family and friends be prepared. Place check marks beside the tasks you have completed below. Once you have four checkmarks from the list below, make it official! Have a parent help you print out the certificate, sign it, and hang it in your room! Helping your family is fun!
Here are some easy steps to get started:
- Remind your parents to change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Map it out! Help plan ways to get out of your house. Have a fire drill with your family to practice your plan!
- Know how and when to call 911. Be sure to remember your parents’ full names, your address, and phone number.
- Go on a scavenger hunt! Help your parents build a family emergency kit with items found around your home. You can build one for your family car as well!
- If you know a thunderstorm is coming, stay indoors. Play an inside game until the storm passes.
- It’s better to turn around! Never walk into floodwater. Remind your family not to drive through flooded streets.
- Play with toys, not fire. Don’t touch matches, lighters or candles.
Attention Parents, Teachers and Youth Programs!
The following are resources you can utilize to teach children about safety and disaster preparedness:
Fire Prevention Lesson Plans
Sesame Street - Let's Get Ready!
Youth Preparedness - FEMA
Click here to download the Kids Crew Certificate!